Monday, April 21, 2014

And We're All Just Fine

We had a lovely Easter at our place yesterday. We were joined by some great friends and much food was consumed. At one point, Teddy got ahold of a piece of raw vegan fudge I had made, one of the main ingredients of which is cacao powder. I was then told by my friends that cacao is on the top of the list of things that are poisonous to dogs.

Jeff immediately took Teddy to the 24-hour pet hospital where they induced vomiting in Ted and then gave him something to settle his stomach. The round trip took them less than 45 minutes. Teddy was a little tired but he was going to be fine.

Just so you can say you read it somewhere, following is a list of foods that are poisonous to dogs that I got from the Humane society:

  • Alcoholic beverages 
  • Apple seeds 
  • Apricot pits 
  • Avocados
  • Cherry pits
  • Candy (particularly chocolate—which is toxic to dogs, cats, and ferrets—and any candy containing the toxic sweetener Xylitol) 
  • Coffee (grounds, beans, and chocolate-covered espresso beans)
  • Garlic
  • Grapes 
  • Gum (can cause blockages and sugar free gums may contain the toxic sweetener Xylitol)
  • Hops (used in home beer brewing) 
  • Macadamia nuts 
  • Moldy foods 
  • Mushroom plants 
  • Mustard seeds 
  • Onions and onion powder 
  • Peach pits 
  • Potato leaves and stems (green parts) 
  • Raisins 
  • Rhubarb leaves 
  • Salt 
  • Tea (because it contains caffeine) 
  • Tomato leaves and stems (green parts) 
  • Walnuts 
  • Xylitol (artificial sweetener that is toxic to pets)
  • Yeast dough


  1. And chicken or turkey on the bone. Those bones can shred a dog's throat and then you can't get them out.

  2. HOLY COW. I did NOT know. So glad everything is okay.

  3. If all of those things killed dogs mine would so not be alive. And yet...they are.
    Once my smallish dogs ate a bunch of chocolate covered espresso beans. No. They did not die. They did, however, literally bounce off the walls all night.
    A friend of mine's lab ate a bunch of chocolate chip cookies. She panicked and called her vet, also a good friend. "What should I do?" she asked him.
    "Offer him a glass of milk to with them?" he said. That dog didn't die either.
    Not saying that y'all didn't do the right thing. You absolutely did. But trust me- chocolate is not always fatal for dogs.

    1. I'm so glad your guys were okay. It was a little scary!
      xoxo L

  4. Ohmagosh. Bon eats apple cores with seeds and avocados all the time! He loves them!
    I guess my dog doesnt know what's good for him.
    So glad you posted this. I'd only heard of chocolate and grapes.

    So glad your dog is OK! !

  5. I used to feed my dog grapes, raisins, and chocolate all the time. She loved them all, and they never bothered her. She lived to be 11, too. :) (She also enjoyed carrots and popsicles, although the latter confused her because it was cold.)

  6. Golly! I'm so glad that Teddy is ok.
    One of our Labs regularly climbed into the compost bins searching for his favourite fruits: apples, avocados, and bananas. When he found avocado skins he would lick any fragments off, and he would crunch apple cores with glee. He could delicately peel a ripe banana and then eat the inside.
    Chocolate is a definite no-no, though :)

  7. Avocados??? I swear there is avocado based dog food....Am I confusing dog and cat food? have I fed my dog, cat food?